Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Kindness Breeds Kindness

There comes a time in life when we have to learn to stop letting our initial reaction to bullshit be our only reaction. I’ve had my share of moments when I wanted to snap on people. For example, the girl on the train who felt like I needed to know her entire life story, or the co-worker with the bad breath who complains as if it’s a normal form of self-expression. Oh, the many times I've wanted to yell “Shut up!” or “Nobody fucking cares!” Seriously, how harsh would that have been? I’m not sure if it’s the patience I’ve developed as a mother, or the respect for others my parents instilled in me as a child that keeps me from reacting to things that annoy me with ignorant behavior…BUT! I can tell you that I have my days when I want to throw all that shit out the window & disrespect some people to the fullest extent! Where would that get me though?
Say you wake up on the wrong side and walk into your place of employment with a funky attitude. Your demeanor reads “don’t screw with me or else…” & every word out of your mouth is drenched in rudeness. A fellow employee walks up to you & asks if everything is OK. (Now pause) Your initial reaction is to tell that person to “fuck off” & mind their business, but because they have displayed the kind act of concern you take a second & explain that you’re just having a bad day. You see how that worked out?There was no need to go upside anybody’s head with a keyboard & end up terminated or in custody for aggravated assault with a “deadly weapon.” What you did was react with humility & patience (aka Kindness).
What if I told you kindness should always be your response to every situation? Would you believe me? Kindness has its way of wooing over the most unpleasant people in the universe AND as corny as this may sound, kindness is contagious. I want you to practice kindness for a day, instead of responding with sarcasm or aggression give people patience & kindness. See if they return your kind gesture with a kind gesture. 
                                         kindness breeds kindness pic
Until next time,
WC.

No comments:

Post a Comment